30.8.10

Isaiah 40:28-31
"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The L-rd is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the L-rd will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. "

When I first read the above passage this morning I was encouraged. The L-rd is all of that and more. However, after I read it a few times I started to question how "those who hope in the L-rd will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." I have a head understanding that the L-rd gives strength to the weary, but at the moment I don't understand what that really looks like. One of my questions is when will their strength be renewed? How long must we wait? Are we to be taken until we are at the end of ourselves in what we can bear on our own? Does the L-rd take us to a place of brokenness and dependence on Him that if He doesn't show up we will be defeated? Is that when He gives the endurance and strength that this passage declares? I don't know. Perhaps the fact that I haven't run away, or fallen into an inescapable despair is some of what the passage is talking about. Where is Joy though? I don't think it is far off though it is hidden for the moment.


Psalm 103
"Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and all that is within me,
bless his holy name!
2 Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and forget not all his benefits,
3 who forgives all your iniquity,
who heals all your diseases,
4 who redeems your life from the pit,
who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy,
5 who satisfies you with good
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.

6 The Lord works righteousness
and justice for all who are oppressed.
7 He made known his ways to Moses,
his acts to the people of Israel.
8 The Lord is merciful and gracious,
slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.
9 He will not always chide,
nor will he keep his anger forever.
10 He does not deal with us according to our sins,
nor repay us according to our iniquities.
11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him;
12 as far as the east is from the west,
so far does he remove our transgressions from us.
13 As a father shows compassion to his children,
so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear him.
14 For he knows our frame; [1]
he remembers that we are dust.

15 As for man, his days are like grass;
he flourishes like a flower of the field;
16 for the wind passes over it, and it is gone,
and its place knows it no more.
17 But the steadfast love of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear him,
and his righteousness to children's children,
18 to those who keep his covenant
and remember to do his commandments.
19 The Lord has established his throne in the heavens,
and his kingdom rules over all.

20 Bless the Lord, O you his angels,
you mighty ones who do his word,
obeying the voice of his word!
21 Bless the Lord, all his hosts,
his ministers, who do his will!
22 Bless the Lord, all his works,
in all places of his dominion.
Bless the Lord, O my soul! "

9 comments:

Kait said...

listen, all I know is I've been singing that song "everlasing G-d" all week that's structured around that scripture and that may be my favorite psalm. I was praying it last night in worship.

grace and peace to you, friend.

tom said...

i love your questions, but have no answers, only more questions of my own.

Allison said...

i like that song. it was one of the songs going through my head that lead me to this psalm. thank you.

i'm glad to have questions, to be thinking and trying to understand whether or not anyone here on earth can answer them.

Anonymous said...

Remember the great paradoxes of Christianity: in order to live you must die...it is not in our strength but in our weaknesses that God is glorified...joy and true liberation comes through obedience and not being "our own person."...and so on and so on.

Allison said...

To Anonymous:
I did think about thoat scripture as well, but for some reason the connection isn't happening. Let me explain, or ask a question, whichever comes first. Is it, then, when I feel my lowest that the L-rd gives me strength even though I don't feel strengthened, or is it not about 'my strength' at all but all about HIS being glorified? Both? What does it mean to not be my own person? Does it mean to look after the greater good of mankind over myself? Does it mean I sacrifice myself, my desires, and what inspires me in order that others are taken care of? If I do that I won't have the energy to continue in that way very long. No, I do not want to be selfish with the gifts G-d has given me. I want to be useful and an encouragement to my brothers and sisters. If I am not 'being me' how can I be of any help to anyone?

Thank you for your comment. I don't disagree. On the contrary. I very much agree. I am trying to better understand and grow.

Carlye said...

Blessed to know you, Al. This is so enriching. I too wonder these things. Sometimes these things seem mutually exclusive or contradictory, but the ways of God are so vast (and downright awesome). I am glad to see that no matter what the question, it always seems to turn you/us to Him. Praise Him for that. He will be present with you in your search. For now, whenever I get too stuck I read Psalm 131 and meditate on the fact that because of sin itself, I may never understand these things - so I will calm and quiet myself...and choose to trust.

Allison said...

Carlye, thank you for your wisdom and the reminders. I'm excited to dive into Psalm 131.

p.s. I know the title of my blog is 'Al', but few people call me Al. I really like that you called me Al.

Anonymous said...

Good question. Let me see if an analogy might help. Remember poor Eustace in "Voyage of the Dawn Treader"? He was so rotten that he eventually turned into a dragon. Not until Aslan pulled off the scales did Eustace become the person he was supposed to be. So it is with us. God does not want to obliterate our identity...the cults strive for that. No, God wants us to work every day to surrender ourselves to Him...die to our fallen nature and put on Christ every day. A friend once told me that Christianity doesn't make one less you, it makes you more human...the humans God intends for us to be. In our down times we must hold on to the truth that God works even then. I confess I prefer joy and laughter but we don't always have that. Always strive to be the wonderful person God made!! I've rambled on long enough :-)

Allison said...

Once again I must confess that your 'ramblings' are not rambles at all. Not to me. On contraire. Thank you.