4.5.10

Dancing the Night Away

April 16, 2010, wasn't your average day. "Why is this?", you might ask. I danced. Big whoop! People dance all of the time. Yes, people do. I do not. Dancing is inside of me. At weddings or parties it has tried to force itself out, but I wouldn't have it. I settled for fear and disappointment, even a sense of shame instead.

Denessa and I before the party.

My dear friend Peg

This dope girl is Marcy
Janet, Denessa, Cami, Marcy and the Dancing Queen

Denessa and myself on the dance floor

Crystal!


This woman has been a part of my life since day 1. She has been a friend of my moms for 30 years give or take a few. When I told my mom I was doing BreakThrough in March she told me Janet was going, also. I have been blessed to get to know her and hear her story.

"What made this night different?" I am glad you asked. I went to a semi-formal event held by Heart Connexion Ministries. This ministry is responsible for the BreakThrough seminar I have been attending over the last month and a half. The annual Gala fell on April 16 this year, marking the halfway point between BT2 and BT3. We enjoyed a fancy dinner and good fellowship, but everyone was waiting for the treat coming after dinner. If you guessed dessert you are partially correct, and only partially because this "dessert" or "icing on the cake" was the dance party. (the food dessert was also amazing).
I had on 4" heels. How women dance in heels eludes me. The music started and the majority of the room headed toward the dance floor. When I first started dancing I felt awkward with a capital "A". I figured out in less than a minute that the heels had to go. I ran back to my chair and pulled my awesome red flats out of my purse, slipped them on, and was back out on the floor in no time. This time I felt awkward with a little "a". I kept dancing with my girls, though. I told Peg how I felt and she said we were just getting the dirt off. I must have been pretty dirty. It took a few minutes for me to emerge, but once I did there was no gasping for fresh air. There was simply body movin', music to groove-in fun. There were a few times I had to remind myself to let loose and play. No one was watching me anyway. They were all having their own fun.
Needless to say I had a blast. I was able to get past the point of caring, and even thinking, about what others probably weren't even thinking of me while I danced. Talk about freedom! And that was just a taste of what is happening and has yet to come.

6 comments:

Tom and Leah said...

this is a great post. i laughed several times. you are a wonderful writer and i hope there are more posts like this in the future!

Tom and Leah said...

and thanks for posting pictures...it is one of your giftings. and seeing you all dolled up (and crystal too) is so much fun. we should have a kl semi-formal.

Susan said...

I love it. Very inspiring and a good reminder of how much fun it is to play.

Allison said...

thanks leah. i had a lot of fun writing this post. there are more to come. i think someone else said that about kl, too. makes me smile thinking about everyone dressing up all fancy-like.

susan, playing is a lot of fun : ). i hope i don't forget that any time soon. and when i do forget it that a reminder isn't far behind.

Lauren Blake said...

you look stunning

Maeret said...

I agree with Lauren, you are so pretty in those pictures... and in real life. but it is fun to see you dressed up :)