8.5.10

April 22, 2010-Earth Day/Inspiration Day

I came across an article covering an Earth Day runway show. The clothing was made out of recycled materials such as newspaper, old trench coats, old denim, etc. I thought this was a great idea. Make new articles of clothing from stuff I don't wear anymore.

I decided to try this out and make a skirt out of old t-shirts. I told my friend Peg about my idea and asked if she would help me by doing the sewing part. (and teach me as we go) She thought it was a great idea. For one we would get to hang out, two it sounded like fun.

I took my t-shirts to her place today and told her what I was thinking. We matched up t-shirts to go together and started cutting.

She hasn't ever done a project like this. She said it is a bit of a challenge and that excites her. She likes figuring out how to make it work. I'm glad. I'm sure I could have figured it out, but it would have looked way different. A project like this needed more thought put into it than I imagined.

She is the sewing brains behind the operation and planner/corrector/amazing/co-designer. I am the cutter/photographer/iced coffee drinker/co-designer.

The skirt isn't finished just yet. We are both excited to see how it turns out!






2 comments:

cass said...

Very nice al! I can't wait to see it!

Maeret said...

I can't wait to see it either... and somebody has to be the one drinking the iced coffee...I mean that stuff doesn't drink itself?!